[Tfug] cell phones, bluetooth and airplanes (another question)

Richard Rohrdanz rrohrdanz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 07:32:14 MST 2006

I visited the FAA web site and found the following page -
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=6275

Although it doesn't specifically list Bluetooth as a prohibited item, it
does state: "The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is concerned that
there are still many unknowns about the radio signals that portable
electronic devices (PEDs) and cell phones give off. These signals,
especially in large quantities and emitted over a long time, may
unintentionally affect aircraft communications, navigation, flight control
and electronic equipment."

On a practical note, I have used my PDA numerous times during takeoff and
landing and only once in the past year has a flight attendant asked me to
turn it off. Of course, they don't know if I have my Bluetooth turned on or
not.