[Tfug] KVM switches and Gentoo

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sat Aug 12 10:08:56 MST 2006

Christopher Robbins wrote:
> I've recently built a Gentoo box for purposes unknown (I haven't figured out
> what I plan on doing with it yet, but mostly for media/backup).  I use a
> cheap Trendnet KVM that I bought from SWS - (

I've had similar problems with Debian. I have a 4 port KVM and 3 of the
4 connected PC's are running Debian Sarge.

If I do a lot of switching back and forth, editing files, looking at
configs, etc, one or more of the boxes may refuse to recognize the mouse
or monitor.

The video is the easy fix, just turn off the monitor and turn it back on.

I've taken to just running putty on the XP machine and open multiple
windows to each machine.  That way I can cut and paste from each machine
yet still have a command line interface.

If I want to copy files from one box to another, Putty secure copy comes
in handy.  I can even use it to copy stuff from my boxes at work to the
boxes at home.

George Cohn