[Tfug] KVM switches and Gentoo

Quag7 coldfront at frostwarning.com
Fri Aug 11 22:31:09 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 18:41 -0700, Christopher Robbins wrote:
> I've recently built a Gentoo box for purposes unknown (I haven't figured out
> what I plan on doing with it yet, but mostly for media/backup).  I use a
> cheap Trendnet KVM that I bought from SWS - (
> http://www.trendnet.com/products/TK-208K.htm).  It works fine for my
> dual-boot Win/SUSE box, but I have trouble getting the Gentoo box to
> recognize the mouse.  The mouse is part of a USB mouse/keyboard wireless
> keyboard (Logitech S510), but the mouse is PS/2 and the keyboard is USB via
> a PS2/USB connector...
>
> Has anyone had similar problems?  Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Chris

I have a Linksys 4 port KVM switch with a maddening structural design,
but I've been using it for over 3 years now without any problems at all
- it controls two Windows machines (2K and XP, one a laptop) and two
Linux machines (my main desktop - Gentoo, and a Debian machine).  Worked
fine with the FreeBSD machine too when I had it connected.  Oh and not
only that but my keyboard has one of those old fat connectors going
through a ps2 adapter into the KVM, and the mouse is a USB with a ps2
adapter going into the KVM, and I have full access to the mouse in
Linux, middle mouse button and so on.

Also I'm running 1920x1440 resolution which, with the right cables,
looks great, which is fairly surprising given the cost of the thing.

Here's a URL:

http://tinyurl.com/nkdd3

The port layout is horrific and evil but the switch itself, though it
looks (and feels) like cheap crap, has worked flawlessly now for me, for
years.