[Tfug] gnu ld

Paul Scott waterhorse at ultrasw.com
Fri Aug 11 14:09:53 MST 2006

Jim Secan wrote:
> At 01:51 PM 8/11/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>
>> Short answer: I don't know.  Lahey Support says you can safely ignore
>> it:
>>
>> http://www.laheyforum.com/showthread.php?p=10821#post10821
>>
>> Google fu:
>> fortran alignment ld symbol warning  "is smaller than 16"
>>

> Didn't get fancy enough with my googling - thanks.
>
> If anyone out there does know what's afoot here, I'd like to know.  I do
> provide this code to folks who compile/link in this same environment and
> they won't always take "hey, Lahey says you can ignore that" as an answer.
> They want a clean compile/link.

There hopefully is some way to declare the alignment of variables to
byte/word/doubleword hardware boundaries that will solve this.  Seems
like there is some implicit declaration of hardware alignment happening.
Possibly some slight rearrangement of your common variables may solve this.

OTOH there may be no problem if the variable values are being stored
from the side with the smaller alignment.

Paul Scott