[Tfug] gnu ld

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri Aug 11 13:32:10 MST 2006

Where does one go to find info on warnings and error messages from the gnu
ld beast?  The on-line gnu doc for ld doesn't seem to want to talk about
this, and googling was a waste of time.  I have a somewhat complex
(although not overly so) makefile that runs just fine on Solaris, but when
I run it on Linux (FC3) I get a bunch of:

/usr/bin/ld: Warning: alignment 4 of symbol 'X' in bd.o is smaller than 16
in subrname.o

but it did generate an executable that works.  The code is all Fortran, 'X'
is one or another common block, and bd is a blockdata routine.  I'm using
the Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran compiler.  If I lump all the code that goes into
the program into a single source-code file, it compiles and links with no
complaints (both with and without a makefile).  Same if I exclude the
blockdata routine (but then the program won't run correctly).  It's only
when things are in separate files with the blockdata routine included that
it produces all these warnings.  I suspect this might be a compiler/loader
disconnect, but the Lahey site is silent on this issue as well.

So, what the heck is ld complaining about and what is the fix?  (I know,
drop Fortran - not an option.)  And were gnu ld's warning messages brought
to us by the same folks as "all your base are belong to us"?

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |