[Tfug] Tucson DSL or Dial-Up

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Aug 6 16:25:22 MST 2006

Earl, Claude, Ken,

Thanks so much for your responses.

Earl,
> I have DSL with Qwest and the slowest DSL, which I have, is better
> than the fastest dial up. Another advantage is being able to use the
> phone while on line. $25 or so total cost for DSL.

We had Qwest before we went to Cox cable - it was somewhat usable back
then, but I'm glad it's working OK for you now. Still about $26 if you
are bundling other services with them, otherwise $31. I'm looking at
using TheRiver (now Nationwide.net) and their DSL service thru Qwest.

> I have no problem with Kubuntu 6.06 with Konquorer for browser and
> Kopete for chat. I use Qwest as an ISP (cheapest) with no e-mail.

That's another reason why we left -- their changeover to MSN as the ISP,
we could have very easily have not used the MSN email services.

Claude,
> Sure there is.  Google for "site:tfug.org isp".

I completely forgot about specifying a site to search! That's an awesome
trick and brought up all kinds of relevant hits. Thanks!

Ken,
> actually people pc will work on a linux machine because you can use a
> standard dun/ppp connection if your wanting to stay with them i used it
> for about 6mo before i got cable

That's very good to know. I probably just plug in her PeoplePC user name
and account password into the PPP dialer and forget about the PeoplePC
interface (which sucks, big time!) not to mention their startup "home"
page which passed a java-based nasty to her PC (even with Zone Alarm,
AVG, Spybot and Spyware Blaster - freakin' Windows XP!)

Again, thanks you three for the fast responses and valuable insights and
info.

-*-Bill