[Tfug] Persistent Linux and X Crashes. How to track down?

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 11:37:44 MST 2006

On 8/4/06, TR <trexx at pobox.com> wrote:

Is that you TR?  I didn't know you were on this list :)

> Four monitors,  Wow I have one monitor and four computers.  I naver have
> figured out what benifit there was to extra monitors on a computer, but
> then I avoid using windoze where there are dozens of applications and
> only one works space.

It's invaluable as a software developer, especially a remote one.  One
screen for the IDE, one for the app or debug output, another for docs,
another for the remote screen of the person you are pairing with or
the PC you are working with, or perhaps the Continuous Integration
status screen.  I also use multiple workspaces, but having everything
a glance away without having to switch workspaces or tab between
windows is a real productivity gain.

I also have a KVM which hooks my windows box to the main monitor.

> If it is a case if video locking up  have you tried to change
> run level in an attempt to recover after ssh'ing in,  #> init 3,  ?
> Even if this fails to recover you may be able to see what cannot be
> killed and restarted giving insight to the cause.

Thanks, I'll try this too.