[Tfug] Persistent Linux and X Crashes. How to track down?

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Wed Aug 2 04:36:01 MST 2006

Sounds like hot hardware to me... open the case blow the dust off
everything, make sure all the fans turn, add an exhaust fan to pull more
air. Things get hot bits flip and next thing you know a software module
goes nuts and nukes all the memory it has access to. This happens on
Linux same as Windows BTW, although I think newer cpu's have hardware
for fine grain memory access restrictions. Not sure how much its taken
advantage of, but Linux may have an edge at containing the affected
memory space. If the hardware ran hot for a while it may simply be
damaged, bits will flip even if cold. Anyway good luck... and stay cool.