[Tfug] FreeDos bootable USB drives

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Apr 20 15:34:32 MST 2006

Anybody have experience building a bootable USB drive with FreeDos? I am
trying to get something put together to do a BIOS update on a box without a
floppy or CD drive... So far I haven;t been able to get it to work, it seems
because I can;t get the boot sector right...

There are lots of pointers relating to floppies and CD images... but little
for creating a USB disk directly from Linux (it is mostly all from on a
running Dos/FreeDos system). From what I can determine, I need the
fat12com.bin, fat16com.bin, and fat32lba.bin files for the boot sectors...
but I can;t find those on the downloadable FreeDos disks or precompiled
anywhere. Any way to do this transfer from the bootable CD/floppy images
without resorting to downloading and compiling from source?

Adrian