[Tfug] Comcast Anomaly

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Mon Apr 17 16:12:56 MST 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:30:12PM +0000, evorrie at comcast.net wrote:
>This is somewhat off the topic but I thought Comcast customers in Tucson and
>around the country would get a kick out this.  Last week, by pure coincedence
>I stumbled upon a private network that I was able to reach from my home
>network.  In other words, the only way in my mind was that I had a vpn or
>sometype of tunneled connection to this network.   Addresses that I was able
>to ping were 10.6.80.0/24 through 10.6.115.0/24.  These addresses are
>private, basically non-routable on the public internet.  This is impossible!
>I must be going crazy.  But I was able to get to this.  So, I did a
>traceroute:
>
>traceroute to 10.6.90.159 (10.6.90.159), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets

Strange indeed!

I'm in Amherst, Mass and I also have Comcast for my cable modem connection
(sadly, no other choice).  I did a traceroute on that address and was also
able to reach the unreachable.  My trace, of course, differed at first but met
up with yours at hop 13 and continued on the same path from there.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.