[Tfug] correct Kernel for an older AMD system

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 15:59:05 MST 2006

It shouldn't matter....2.6 will support this hardware as well as 2.4 will.
There are a bit of differences between each, too many to list here.  A
Google search lists quite a few guides.  The 2.6 is considered a bit more
"bleeding edge" in comparision to the older 2.4 kernels, but the 2.4 kernels
are older (tested) so may give a bit greater stability if you're running
some sort of production environment.....

I never had any stability problems with a 2.6 kernel.....Are you rolling
your own kernel for any specific reason? A distro will set you up just fine
(SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, et al) with nothing to worry about...

-Chris

Google Search - linux 2.6 vs 2.4

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+2.6+vs+2.4&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official