[Tfug] Windows laptops?

Benjamin Krein superbenk at superk.org
Sun Jul 31 08:41:44 MST 2005

> Also, Cringeley is a sensationalist freak! Intel merging with Apple?
> Yeah, right. I'm sure the fact that their prototype G5 laptops were
> frying eggs and required nuclear power had nothing to do with it.

Not to really get off topic, but I think the G5's heat/power
requirements didn't really have a lot to do with it.  If anything, I
suspect it's much more to do with Steve Jobs not getting his way with
IBM some way or another (he does have a reputation of getting pissy
when he doesn't get his way).

Here is an IBM press release (maybe you've already seen it) about lower
power requirement G5's:

http://www-1.ibm.com/press/PressServletForm.wss?
MenuChoice=pressreleases&TemplateName=ShowPressReleaseTemplate&SelectStr
ing=t1.docunid=7773&TableName=DataheadApplicationClass&SESSIONKEY=any&Wi
ndowTitle=Press+Release&STATUS=publish

That being said, I wouldn't go so far as to call Cringley a
'sensationalist freak', however I agree he does tend to embellish his
arguments with a bit of imagination (he is an opinion journalist after
all).

PS  I haven't read the IBM Press release in full (just skimmed it).

Benjamin Krein
www.superk.org