[Tfug] Windows laptops?

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 11:20:07 MST 2005

I'm still pretty sure Cringely is a raving lunatic most of the time,
but he seems to think that intel is pissed at microsoft because
microsoft hasn't kept up the pressure to need ever faster processors
in recent years.
Its an interesting perspective. In any case, the last new OS release
from MS was 2002, right? So its logical to me to expect XP to run
reasonably on 3 year old hardware (ok, maybe not 'well', but you get
the idea). Of course, this is pure speculation, because I haven't
actually tried running windows on a low-end machine, but I think
somewhere in the bowels of my office, there sits a roughly 2GHz
machine running XP pro, and it seems happy enough.

All that nonsense aside, I think you should be able to find a very
nice laptop for 1200-1500. Several poeple I know have recently been
very happy with HP dv1000 series, and I personally continue to drule
over used thinkpads like:
http://tinyurl.com/b3h5u