[Tfug] Remote shell app

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Fri Jul 29 12:00:06 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Quag7" <coldfront at frostwarning.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Tfug] Remote shell app

> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 08:17 -0700, steveb7 at bblabs.net wrote:
>> The problem is not if if crashes, its more for situations where the
>> machine is unreachable across the Internet but the reason is unknown. It
>> could be the ISP is having problems, there is a backbone issue or my own
>> machine is having problems answering connection requests or not
>> responding to same. The machine might be on the other side of the city of
>> even out of state. I would like to be able to dial into it, get a shell,
>> and check things out. In my case the *NIX of choice is OpenBSD. Buying an
>> analog modem - $12, trying to figure out what app to install to answer
>> that call and give me a shell - priceless.
>
> This might be helpful:
>
> http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html

That is cool if you want to talk IP (over PPP, etc.) and then telnet into
the box.

What if you want just a shell as if you sere sitting at a dumb terminal? You
may access via terminal emulator over POTS line as in:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.1

Yeah I know you said O-BSD, but working with getty is pretty much the same
on *NIX

HTH