[Tfug] A little OT: student job at Kuiper Space Sciences Building

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Jul 27 17:56:00 MST 2005

I know there are a number of students on this list so perhaps somebody here is
interested.  There is a student job available at the Lunar and Planetary Lab.

For the past few semesters I and another have been working on star navigation
camera that will be placed on an upcoming Amsat satellite (next year).  This
camera and associated hardware will image the sky from orbit, locate stars in
the image, compare those stars to an onboard catalog, and report to the main
satellite computer the orientation of the satellite.

The student job will be to aid in the development of this project's software.
The development/testing machine is a Linux PC.  The board is a custom build
device with an ARM7 processor.  It is running custom code, not having the
necessary resources for Linux itself.

Requirements of the job:

* You need to know C very well.  Having taken the UA's intro C class won't be
  enough.
* You need to be able to learn a small amount of ARM7 assembly when/if
  necessary.
* Some interest in space science would be nice, but is in no way a
  requirement.
* Open to undergrads or graduate students.

If you are interested, contact me off list.  I realize this message is rather
vague, but with a project this small, there are no clearly defined roles for
people.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
                        johng at as.arizona.edu
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://gutenpalm.sf.net
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max