[Tfug] Weird partition type

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Sun Jul 24 17:02:33 MST 2005

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:34:33AM -0700, Benjamin Krein wrote:
> I just bought a new HP Pavilion dv1000 series laptop that has their
> nifty QuickPlay feature (mini linux distro that boots in ~15 seconds
> soley for playing DVD's & MP3s).  QuickPlay resides in a ~200MB
> partition on my disk that is "Type 88 Plaintext" (according to cfdisk).
> I'd like to mount it in Linux and poke around for curiousity sake.  How
> does one go about mounting a partition of this type?  I've never heard
> of it before and Google isn't giving me much info.

I'm betting "Type 88 Plaintext" is equivalent to the program 'file'
output of "data".  They might just be doing everything themselves.
That is, it might not be a filesystem, but simply a data file.  I'd
try a "file -s" on it and see what happens.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G