[Tfug] caching nameserver for performance only

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Sun Jul 24 11:03:42 MST 2005

Quoting t takahashi <gambarimasu at gmail.com>:
> On 7/23/05, Brian Murphy <murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>> Quoting t takahashi <gambarimasu at gmail.com>:
>> > why don't most desktop users connected to an isp install a caching
>> > nameserver for performance?
>>

>> A lot of users don't know about it.  ISPs don't publicize it much
>> because each user sends out a DNS query instead of the ISP's name
>> server sending it once for an entire population.
>
> i don't get the second part of your response.  i mean why aren't
> personal nameservers almost as popular as firewalls?

Bandwidth.

Less of a problem now than the old days.  That said, I run BIND on my
comcast firewall/gateway.  It's configured to bind on the internal
interface only with the listen-on option.  I chose BIND because I'm
familiar with it.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.