[Tfug] another DSL thread

dave jordan quantumnonlocality at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:58:37 MST 2005

jim, i'm glad you resolved your issue.  i too have an actiontec dsl
modem and i was amused to learn from your thread that there's a linux
kernel running in there.  spent a few hours looking at all the files.
tried to ftp some of them off but the unit's ftp daemon is not
configured right.  /var/log/messages was interesting.  you can even
write to the /var fs, but of course it's only in volatile RAM.

so i've had the qwest/qwest.net service for about a week now, and it's
working, but not without a few annoyances.  i was originally sold the
1.5/896 service, but ended up having to go with 640/256 due to
attenuation problems.  at times the modem has trouble with even 640
and falls back to 256/256 or even lower.  but i suspect the problem is
in my wires, which issue i am going to address RSN.  But wait -- in
the 2 weeks since the initial failure of the 1.5 provisioning, it
seems that my circuit has been moved to a new "ultra high density
asym."  i guess that's how you spell it.  so i have reordered the 1.5
and they are supposed to flick the switch on friday.

the bottom line is, nothing short of abject failure is going to make
me stay with cox cable at this point -- if i never figure out the
connection speed flukiness then i'll just live with it.  for one
thing, my upspeed is noticeably snappier on this relatively slow
connection compared to cox's 4 mbps service (whatever it's upspeed is,
i don't remember the number.)  for another, the actiontec modem is
much more feature-rich than the cheap-ass Terayon cable modem, whose
plastic shell nearly outgassed me into a stupor for weeks after i got
it.
and most importantly, qwest's customer service is better.

-dave