[Tfug] OT: Computer recommendations

Bill M. beelymagee at cox.net
Sun Jul 10 17:39:49 MST 2005

Ellen,

 > This is OT because I need hardware recommendations... but the systems
 > need to run Windbloze....
 >
 > I'm helping a dental office in Naco, Mexico get set up with 4
 > computers (1 "server"/workstation, 3 workstations).
 >
 > The requirements are:
 >
 > Network Server (Image Storage)
 > MINIMUM
 > Windows 2000 Professional / 2003 Server / XP Professional
 > TCP/IP Networking Protocols
 > 512 RAM
 > 20 GB Hard Disk
 > RECOMMENDED
 > Windows 2000 Professional / 2003 Server / XP Professional
 > TCP/IP Networking Protocols
 > 1 GB RAM or higher
 > 80 GB Hard Disk or higher
 >

 > Standalone / Network Client (Image Storage)
 > MINIMUM
 > Windows 98 SE / 2000 Professional / XP Professional
 > Intel Pentium III (800 MHz or higher)
 > 128 MB RAM
 > USB Port
 > Intel PCI to USB Controller
 > 20 GB Hard Disk
 > RECOMMENDED
 > Windows 98 SE / 2000 Professional / XP Professional
 > Intel Pentium 4
 > 256 MB RAM or higher
 > USB Port
 > Intel PCI to USB Controller
 > 80 GB Hard Disk or higher
 >

 > Database (Patient / Image Information)
 > Microsoft Access, SQL Server, or Sybase SQL Anywhere

Have you thought about doing a thin client solution for the "client"
workstations? You could run a nice beefy server and have everyone on a
decent thin client (no hard disk) and run K12-LTSP project -- very easy
to set up and you could maintain remotely for the client. I'm sure you
could do WINE or Crossover Office to run the MS Access database apps.
Then no worries about the licenses & $$ for the M$ OS -- get nice LCD
screens for the workstations and get the front office person off the
server as it is running.

Just a thought.

-*-Bill