[Tfug] Cheap Linux compatible dialup isp?

Peter Collins pcollinsca47 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 08:26:20 MST 2005

netscape (and peoplepc) work fine with linux. You don't need the
custom dialers they provide. Just setup ppp with the
login and password you setup.  The login is your full netscape email
address.  I've tried both of these in the last week without problems
from the vendors. Netscape dialins went through AOL
facilities while Peoplepc uses a lot of Level3 facilities much
like Earthlink. I haven't used any connections more than a few
hours yet so I don't know if they are as relaxed as Earthlink
about leaving a connection on 24x7. I've also used both with
an Apple airport extreme configured as a dialup router - no problems.

I am having dialin problems when dialing in from Vail - but
it's something wrong with qwest's phone lines which have long
periods of dropping 50 - 99% of packets - with all the new
phone tie-ins and the imminent roll out of dsl here I suspect
they have hosed the lines for data somewhere between my
demarc and these isp's during the last two weeks when trouble
started. Since voice is working fine it's hard to get someone to
fix this.  I have no trouble at all when dialing in from a central
Tucson location.

Peter Collins