[Tfug] 64 bit file server?

Stephen Hooper schooper at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 8 23:02:06 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 19:01 -0700, Brian Murphy wrote:

> So use % in conjunction with / if you want both pieces of info.

That is understandable, but it did not properly connote the meaning that
I was trying for (which was that the "/mod" is a single operation that
returns both pieces of information).

I wasn't really saying that there was no way of getting remainders in
"C", I mean you could always resort to:

remainder = dividend - (dividend / divisor);

I was just struggling for something that wouldn't cause confusion, and
is equivalent to "div", "divw", or "divl" in the x86 instruction set
which leaves the remainder in low-x, and keeps the quotient in high-x (I
think).

Obviously, I failed to not cause confusion.

My only excuse is that I am overly enthusiastic about this crap, and at
the time the notation "/mod" seemed like an easy way to express the
concept.

It also led me to discover someone who has done Forth programming, so
for me nothing was really wasted. ;)