[Tfug] Debian struggling with security

Matthew Eskes meskes at azcomputercentral.com
Thu Jul 7 23:12:47 MST 2005

I do debug for both Ubuntu and Debian  and my decision comes from actual
interaction with both of the projects. I have to say that  I dont like the
direction in which they are going. There are some very major reasons I dont
like the direction in which they are going  install Breezy Badger, Ubuntu's
current dev branch and try to run gdb... you will NOT be able to get a
traceback on the program seeing how the project devs seem to want to strip
their binaries making it damn near impossible to figure out exactly what the
hell is going on. It took me a week tracking the bugs down by rebuilding
packages one by one untill I found out which libs and app was br0k. Even
though this was a dev branch, the should have STILL not had their apps
stripped, making it VERY hard to audit. From what I have read the *BSDs are
very audited and do not suffer nearly as bad from security issues and broken
programs as the linux world does.  I dont know, not trying to start a flame
war so if feel that its fine to >insert_retort_here< however Im not trying
to start a holy war, if I do I apologise now.

Matt