[Tfug] Debian struggling with security

Matthew Eskes meskes at azcomputercentral.com
Thu Jul 7 16:12:05 MST 2005

You know, to be honest I could have said that the security issues with Linux
and Debian were to be expected. When you think about it, Linux (the Kernel,
more or less) is really starting to become a big pile of buggy code. Dont
get me wrong, I like having all the functionality that its now providing
which really is better than that in the 2.4x line, but I feel that they
arent taking enough time in bugfixes and they are starting to add new
features way to fast without fixing any bugs that they may have introduced
with them ( The infamous w.x.y.z subversioning they now have) and I think
that its starting to affect the overall quality of the kernel. For those
reasons alone, I am starting to think more seriously about switching over to
either Free or OpenBSD since they are known to audit their code to no end. I
realise that this will not fix all the bugs since there is not one piece of
bugfree software, but as I like to say, any small advantage I can get I will
take.

Matt