[Tfug] oo.org spreadsheet formula question.

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Jul 6 16:05:02 MST 2005

At 03:49 PM 7/6/2005 -0700, Josh wrote:
>Another way to do this:
>
>D1:	=SUM($C$1:C1)

Unless the spreadsheets are smarter than I think they are, the approach of
adding the cell in C on the row of interest to the cell in D in the
previous row is more efficient.  In this approach, you're just adding two
numbers together.  In the approach using the SUM() function you are adding
together an increasing number of cells as the overall list becomes longer.
Now perhaps the spreadsheet is smart enough to see what you're doing and
optimize, but that would surprise me.

It may also be the case that in these days of GHz processors this
efficiency is down in the noise level, but old habits die hard.

Jim