[Tfug] ethernet to USB?

Michael Salivar ethyriel at nerdshack.com
Fri Jul 1 19:40:36 MST 2005

Well, we already handle permissions and accounting and such through this one print and file server,
which is in close proximity to the USB devices, and thus handles them directly.  But it just can't
handle everything we're throwing at it.  Plus all of our data is in a rather precarious position on
a USB Iomega hard drive without any backup.

We're a professional print shop, yes.  We have a Gestetner 7502 w/ finisher and a Canon color
machine I forget the model number of, both with integral print servers.  We also have a Xerox
Docucolor with a rather old Fiery, and a couple very old Konicas (7070?) with f inishers we might
get a Fiery for.  All of this is managed by that Win2k print server, along with a networked Phaser,
Oce TDS-400, Xante platemaker, and large format Epson inkjet.

On USB we currently have a couple 11x17 scanners, an older Kimosetter plate maker, an old HP inkjet
with impeccable quality, and a vinyl cutter which I think acts more as a plotter (one of these
http://specials.signwarehouse.com/pan_packge.htm )  There's also the Graphtec large format scanner
which is USB2/Firewire.  So it's not mostly printers I'm looking for solutions to, there's a lot of
imaging equipment too, with more likely to come.

What I'm looking at in a server is a low end S939 Athlon64, 2-4GB of RAM, a three disk SATA RAID 5
array and a seperate root disk.  It doesn't have to do much: provide a strong centralization for a
network that's currently a hodge podge of shares by serving images and layouts, and sharing
printers.  I'll also have it as another layer of firewall, and maybe filter and archive email from
our pop accounts.  In the future it might act as a buffer between a POS and the owner's workstation.

As I lay it out, I guess this USB solution isn't really vital, but it sure would be nice if either
graphics artist could use any of the scanners or the vinyl cutter at any time, without asking the
other to move over for a second.

---
Michael