[Tfug] Snap servers

Steven Bowers steveb7 at bblabs.net
Fri Jul 1 19:09:08 MST 2005

Like anything too good to be true, I've been offered an old Snap Server
1000 at an attractive price. It's "attractive" because the seller
removed the hard drive from it and cannot find the power cable. I
suspect the cable is not a big problem, but the issue with the hard
drive is a little more difficult.

It is my understanding you cannot just pop a new drive into a Snap
server, that Quantum/Meridian/Snap/Adaptec has done something to prevent
such a simple task by the end user. I've looked through each of the
aforementioned vendors sites and gooogled to see if someone found a way,
but so far I've been marginally successful. I've found a few sites that
say it ca be done, but either they "claim" it just a simple drive swap
or the link to the solution is broken.

Is there anyone on the list who has worked with these devices, and if so
can you comment on replacing the hard drive?

Steve