[Tfug] Running a terminal in the root window

Samuel Hart tfug@tfug.org
Wed Jan 8 13:32:01 2003

Here's a poser for you guys...

I want to be able to run some sort of terminal in the root window of my
X desktop. (So that my background is a terminal ;-) I have seen it done
before in screenshots around the web, but haven't figured out how it's
done (and I can't find any screenshots of it right now).

The basic gist of why someone would want something like this: imagine
you have multiple desktops and are doing multiple things in them. You
have a terminal open with an IRC session in it (perhaps you're coding
with people across the country in an open-source project like, idunno,
tux4kids ;-) Wouldn't it be nice to have that terminal full-screen,
borderless, and occupying all desktops in the background so that when
someone says something, regardless of which desktop or app you're in,
you can see it?

Now, I have tried doing this with normal Xterms, Aterms, and the like by
just maximizing them and making them sticky, but that still leaves a
border, and if you ever click on it or paste to it, it focuses over
whatever other apps you have running (or, at least it does in most WMs)

(Also, I know Eterm can be run borderless, but it doesn't solve the
other problems)

So, can anyone enlighten me as to how they do it?

--
Sam "Criswell" Hart < criswell@geekcomix.com >
Contact Info : < http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/contact/ >