[Tfug] music/mp3 player daemon

Sam Hart hart at physics.arizona.edu
Tue Dec 23 08:40:17 MST 2003

* On 03-12-22, Claude Rubinson wrote:

> I'm wondering if anybody is aware of an audio player app that runs as
> a daemon?  Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.  I'll provide a bit
> of background and how I'm thinking about resolving the problem.
>
> I typically use command-line instruments for playing music (generally
> mp3s but, if possible, I'm looking for a solution that supports
> multiple formats).  In an xterm, I'll execute splay or the play
> frontend to SoX against a list of audio files and throw it into the
> background.  No muss, no fuss.
>
> Well, at least most of the type.  Every so often, I won't be thinking
> about it, and I'll close the xterm that's running the playing job.
> Whoops!  There goes the music.  Or, I'll want to kill the job but I've
> forgotten which xterm it's running in.  Yeah, I can always kill the
> process but I shouldn't have to.

Well, one quick and simple way to solve this is to run whatever sound
playing thingy you're using in 'screen' (see the man page for it).

That way you can detach it from the xterm and keep it running.

(Screen is actually one of my favorite apps, and probably least
appreciated killer app I know of ;-)

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart at physics.arizona.edu>