[Tfug] ?? RE: XSS vulnerability in Canon webcam I discovered

Casey Townsend CTownse1 at ci.tucson.az.us
Thu Dec 18 09:41:43 MST 2003

Thank you for your comments.  I hadn't considered the CYA aspect.

>>> JMB <jmb at indesp.com> 12/17/2003 9:53:57 AM >>>
Hi,

I'm new to this group, and haven't really done anything in the way of
introducing myself, but I really wanted to reply to this message. So,
Greetings & Salutations, Everyone ;>
--
Casey Townsend wrote:

>I ran a nessus security scan against our recently purchased Canon VB-C10R Network Camera (remote controlled web-cam). It revealed the information listed below, which includes a Cross Site Scripting vulnerability in the embedded web sever.  I have verified that this affects Opera 6 & 7, Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1, Netscape 4.x, 6 & 7, and Mozilla 1.6b, but it does not effect my IE6sp1+, including NeoPlanet and Avant.

Impressive -- If it were not for the known factor of large corporations
_generally_ being pretty thickskulled, I'd have to say I was more
surprised at their lack of attention to even the possibility of any
exploit involving their products, much less the demonstrated XSS.

>I have contacted Canon several times about this but I don't think they are too concerned (and I don't have the experience to determine if this is a significant problem or not, or if other web-cams are also vulnerable). Canon did not acknowledged any of my emails or even the fax their customer support person asked me to send until finally I was able to speak with a supervisor the next week who said they had received an email and that it was going to being sent to their NY HQ, which would then send it to their engineers in Japan. He didn't think I would hear anything for at least a couple of weeks, if ever. I initially called them on Nov. 28th.

(!)

>I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

While I know virtually zippo about that camera, just judging by what
you've documented (operating on the assumption it's all true), that
should qualify as a bona-fide security defect, all right.

The last time I dealt with a similar situation was ~3 months ago; I
found some anomalous entries obfuscated in the guts of an EN5940 (aka
SE5940) router, and was able to confirm the same back (front) door in
another previously untouched, brand new model. In a shockingly contrary
happening, I left a VM for some anonymous tech there, figured no one
would notice it for the better part of a year, and got a call back from
Efficient Networks in ~30 minutes from someone who was incredibly keen
on finding out just how I'd come across the information I mentioned in
the VM, and started doing the grill-over-the-phone bit. Not much for
being grilled, I just told him I was not RE'ing their product, was just
testing/troubleshooting it, and had called to make full disclosure to
them before I told anyone else about it, thanks much. He became notably
more polite after that.

In any event, I'd already conferred w/an attorney about it, and, not
having signed any NDAs, and not being in any other way beholden to
Efficient Networks, and provided I made the best "good faith" effort to
provide full disclosure to them prior to publicizing it anywhere else, I
was in the clear.

After having endured far too many exploitable HW/SW geegaws in my time,
the opinion I'm increasingly drawn to is that companies that wish to
make a product regardless of quality control, and then bury their
collective heads in the sand, are dinosaurs, and as such, should become
extinct, posthaste. I am aware of how reactionary this sounds, but I
have my reasons for being of this opinion -- sound reasons, no less.

So FWIW, I'd advise making full disclosure to the company, going to
every "good faith" effort, etc. If they're interested in their
product/interested in listening to those outside the dev schema, they'll
snap it right up & deal with it on their own, either to disprove it or
to prove it (and in the latter case, to hopefully fix it).

Those companies uninterested in what outside sources have to say, and
who are too busy spending 8 hours each day studiously figuring out newer
& more ingenious ways to patently NOT implement (say) full SDLC
methodology for their products -- or whatever -- will also tend to
ignore the warnings issued by others. Of course, once having made full
disclosure (and provided there's no NDA involved & a million other
legalities) and doing whatever else you might need to do for exculpatory
purposes -- consulting an attorney is recommended -- if it is clear the
company in question couldn't give a tinker's cuss about the matter, just
publish said information to the Internet. Done / Done.

Harsh? Ideally.

One oftentimes needs to use an incredibly sharp goad on the extremely
thick-skinned; it would be nice if this were not the case, and perhaps
in an ideal world, it would not be; as a a case in point, I cannot
imagine Bank of America would have bothered to patch their MS SQL
servers until they had their pants pulled down by a worm -- a worm
exploiting something already antiquated by that time, yet they were
uninclined to really devote proper attention to it until their ATMs
began crashing.

This is not to be construed as my encouraging you or anyone else to do
anything malicious, please understand: as everyone is surely already
well familiar with the old saw about Security and Obscurity, I think
merely publicizing the *existence* of a hole or security defect in a
product -- not saying one has to divulge enough detail to enable anyone
to immediately exploit it -- pushes the responsibility squarely onto the
companies in question.

I hope this proves of some use to you.

Regards,

~J