[Tfug] Exchange Mail

Peter W. Merritt pwmerritt at weirdwater.org
Mon Dec 15 21:05:12 MST 2003

Harry McGregor wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 09:13, Jeremy D. Rogers wrote:
>

>>I haven't used evolution yet, but I thought it could deal with exchange
>>just fine without paying for crossover. Am I wrong?
>>

>Evolution will work with exchange as an IMAP client or as a POP3 client,
>but it won't work as a MAPI client without the connector (this has
>nothing to do with crossover plugin or crossover office).

I have an exchange server on the lan here, (eventually replaced by some
free groupware) and only the earlier versions of Evolution will work as
imap4 clients with exchange, my suspision is that Ximian purposely
jacked up imap4 exchange support on purpose to get people to go for the
connector. Evolution will constanly timeout, or say it has the retrieved
the message and display nothing. Never have been able to find a
workaround. I found Thunderbird to be the best Imap4 client with
exchange.   And yes you could do pop3 but I don't ever want to go back
to downloading mail to my local machine, storing on the server has some
great advantages

>>Also, you may want to check if the exchange server is running pop3 which
>>would allow you to just fetchmail and use whatever on your local
>>machine. (This is what I have to do.)
>>

>It depends on if you just want email, or if you want the other abilities
>of exchange.
>
>			Harry

Exactly, I you do forfit some functionalty by not using a native
Exchange client or XImain connector,  a good balance for me is the use
OWA for the calendar and Public folders, not quite the same but good
enough for my needs. BTW, there is some knowledgebase articles
explaining the proper proceedure for using the lockdown tool with
Exchange and OWA, so webdev will work right.

       Peter