[Tfug] Newb mail question.

Quag7 quag7 at frostwarning.com
Fri Dec 12 01:58:32 MST 2003

Alright, I'm kind of lost.

I am running Gentoo Linux.

I've set up postfix so that I can mail from accounts on one system to
accounts on the same system.

What I want to be able to do is send mail from one system to another
system.

The problem appears to be that I am not running a DNS server, so I get
errors like this (tried to send mail from host macquarie):

Dec 12 01:36:09 macquarie postfix/smtp[5249]: 47EF4AFA96:
to=<root at antarctica.quagworks>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced
(Name service error for name=antarctica.quagworks type=A: Host not
found)

Now, I have:

/etc/hostname: macquarie
/etc/dnsdommainname: quagworks

Set up on both machines.

Each machine can ping the other (have entries set up in /etc/hosts) as:

antarctica.quagworks
macquarie.quagworks

My question is, is it possible to have mail sent between both systems
without setting up a DNS server?

--
quag7 at frostwarning.com * Tucson, AZ - USA
http://www.graffitiwall.net * ICQ 13365630