[Tfug] Radeon and bttv?

John Gruenenfelder johng at bach.as.arizona.edu
Thu Dec 11 12:28:52 MST 2003

Hello all,

After a very long time, I've finally upgraded my video card and now have a
nice shiny Radeon 9800 Pro.  After fighting with ATI's driver package a bit,
I've got it working on Debian.

It all seems to work for the most part, though I can see some graphical
artifacts left on the screen after using mplayer (xv output).  However, trying
to make use of my bttv TV card (Hauppauge WinTV PCI - older model) just locks
the machine up hard and quickly.  Running "zapping" will display its GUI.  The
contents of the "screen" appear to be random junk from video memory.  Then it
hangs hard.  Magic SysRq still works, though.

Has anybody else got any experience with this?  I find the ATI drivers to not
be as good as Nvidia's which were again not as good as the completely open
drivers I had for my Matrox G400.  There are some other programs I can try,
but I'd like to avoid more hard lockups, so I thought I'd ask first.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
                        johng at as.arizona.edu
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://gutenpalm.sf.net
of my enemies!"
        --Sam of Sam & Max