[Tfug] port installs fail: pkg_info -- O

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 01:51:57 MST 2003

I have never seen it before.
Is it a new problem? something that recently started?
But here's how I would go about troubleshooting:

If I haven't done so yet, I would update your ports.
There is some very good information on how to handle
that job in the FBSD handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
Pay special attention to the section on using the
"cvsup" program.

While cvsup is running, I'd run over to google and see
if I can find anything on that error.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

I just now poked around and found this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&threadm=fafbd945.0309300651.363b4356%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26c2coff%3D1%26q%3Dpkg_info%2Bgroup%253Acomp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc%2Bgroup%253Acomp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc%2Bgroup%253Acomp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc%2Bgroup%253Acomp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26meta%3Dgroup%253Dcomp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
which may be the problem. I noticed my dad's computer
- which has release 4.7 (or maybe older) doesn't get
good results when he runs pkg_info either; but
portupgrade still works.

Anyway, if updating your ports and poking around
google doesn't help, it may be useful to look into
using the program "portupgrade." If you can't install
it from ports, you should be able to at least install
it from your 4.8-Release CD by running the program:

# /stand/sysinstall

In fact, you may be able to install portinstall online
using /stand/sysinstall. If you are in Arizona, I
recommend this server:  ftp5.FreeBSD.org

After that, I don't know what I'd do. Maybe the above
steps will give you some clues as to where to go next.

--- Thomas Hancock <thancock at saguaromail.com> wrote:
> Wanted to ask a quick FreeBSD question.  All my port
> installs fail like this:
>
> [root at vs146 /usr/ports/category_name/port_name]#
> make install
> <Finds the dependencies and runs most of the install
> with no problem>
> ===>  Checking if category_name/port_name already
> installed
> pkg_info: illegal option -- O
> usage: pkg_info [-cdDfGiIkLmopqrRsvVx] [-e package]
> [-l prefix]
>                 [-t template] [-W filename]
> [pkg-name ...]
>        pkg_info -a [flags]
> *** Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/ports/category_name/port_name.
>
> This article seems to address the subject and
> suggests running FreeBSD 4.7 or later (I'm running
> 4.8-release though)
> http://news.gw.com/freebsd.questions/148464
>
> It looks as though the "-- O" option after pkg_info
> simply doesn't exist, but was entered in the script
> anyway.
> The system can't interpret "-- O", so it treats it
> as an error and quits
> Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
>
> Tom Hancock
> running FreeBSD 4.8-release
> Aplus VS146>

=====
The restriction of knowledge to an elite group destroys the spirit of society and leads to its intellectual impoverishment. - Albert Einstein