[Tfug] Spawn X into different virtual screens from login manager?

Justin Zeigler tfug at zqc.com
Fri Dec 5 10:52:11 MST 2003

Mike Morrell wrote
|   How can I setup my login manager (KDM or GDM) so that once I login the
| actual session opens in a new virtual screen leaving the login manager
| open in the current one?  Right now by default once I login the login
| manager closes and the session takes over that screen.  Instead, I would
| like to leave the login manager open so I can continually log on as
| different users with each login spawning a new virtual screen for that
| users KDE/Gnome session.
|

| Thanks,
|
| Mike

Mike,
   This would be a very bad idea. display managers usually (gdm/kdm) run
as a trusted user, and cannot do anything that is not defined in there
configs. Having the able to start a new process upon common user request
would be a serious security risk.

  However, there are tricks. On my home system, I run 4 xservers (one
each for the wife, the 2 kids, and myself). with this, each user simply
has to hit ctrl+alt+f# to get to their screen. with gdm this is very
easy, just change a [servers] section to the bottom of gdm.conf:

[servers]
0=Standard vt7
0=Standard vt8
0=Standard vt9
0=Standard vt10

This has worked in both Debian and Mandrake for me.

--
Justin Zeigler
Human, and all around person

Religion is like alcohol, in moderation it can make you feel tingly
all over, but when you have to much, you start pissing people off.