[Tfug] OT: Hacker Slang

Eduardo Bernal breetai at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Dec 2 11:01:14 MST 2003

Josh Miller wrote:
It's "klooj", without the "d" sound. Those pronouncing it like "mud"
have probably only read it
(like the people who pronounce "paradigm" as "pair-uh-dig-um") or
learned from someone who only read it.

> Venturing even further OT, how do you all pronounce "kludge"?
>
> I've heard it like "kloodge", and also rhyming with "mud"
>
> -Josh
>
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 11:14, Quag7 wrote:
> > >
> > > Odd, I've never seen/used this as anything but a derogatory comment,
> > > perhaps with a twinge of "but there's no other choice."  Not that I haven't
> > > generated my share of kluges - these typically arise when there's no time
> > > for elegance, or even testing.
> > >
> > > Jim
> >
> > Well you know, if your dam springs a leak, and you stick your finger in
> > the hole to prevent a watery apocalypse, that's a kluge.  Seeing as how
> > you stopped the said watery apocalypse, it's hard to consider that
> > derogatory.  Of course, to your point, a cement plug would probably be
> > better.
> >
> >   -C

> --
> Josh Miller <jmiller at larson-usa.com>
> The Larson Company

You'd better beat it.  You can leave in a taxi.  If you can't get a
taxi, you can leave in a huff.  If that's too soon, you can leave in a
minute and a huff.
                -- Groucho Marx