[Tfug] OT: Hacker Slang

James Hood jlhood at email.arizona.edu
Mon Dec 1 22:41:24 MST 2003

My fiancee is doing a report for a German linguistics class and needs your help. She is doing an experiment on the influence of the German language on Hacker slang. You don't have to be a Hacker slang affitionado to participate. All I need you to do is look at the following list of words and for each word, mark (a) whether you've seen or used the word as Hacker slang and (b) what you think the meaning of the slang implies. Some of the terms are pretty obvious, but just humor us. ;-) Also, if you have any additional terms to add to the list (that you think/know are derived from German), feel free to add as many as you want.

1) abend
2) bletch
3) blinkenlights
4) DAU
5) DRECNET
6) gedanken
7) glitch
8) gonk
9) kluge
10) paper money

Please fill it out for yourself before looking at everyone else's responses.

Thanks,

James

--
:%s/hate/love/g