[Tfug] wine to flash firmware

BoB KoT tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 30 06:16:01 2002

Here's cuts from the  Readme.txt

[snip]
   This flash update needs to be performed in Windows 95/98,
   Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000. This will not operate in DOS,
   Windows 3.x or any other operating system.
[snip]
3) Preparing for Upgrade
   =========================
   1. Download the PM560LKI.EXE file from our website.
   2. Insert a blank floppy diskette in the A: drive.
   3. Run or double-click PM560LKI.EXE This will bring up a self-
      extraction window. Click on Unzip to extract files to the
      floppy diskette.
   4. After the files are extracted, click on Close. Proceed to
      Section 4.

4) Before Performing the Firmware Update
   1. Quit any running programs and applications.
   2. If the modem is connected to the Internet or is in use,
      disconnect prior to updating the modem. Flashing the modem
      when in use will cause the modem to be inoperable.

5) Performing The Firmware Update
   ==================================
   1. Go to A: and run Flash32.exe
   2. Flash32 will bring up a Modem Flash Loader screen. Click on
      Next.
   3. Flash32 will search the COM ports for modems. It will then
      prompt for which COM port to use. Select the COM that has the
      56K V.90 PCI MASTER modem and click on Next.
   4. Click on Browse and select the C620T3H2.HEX file, then select
      Open. Click on Finish.
      a. WARNING: DO NOT select the Flashldr.hex file. Attempting
      to flash the modem with flashldr.hex will render the modem
      inoperable
   5. Flash32 will bring up the Modem Flash Loader - Input
      Confirmation screen. If any settings need to be changed,
      click on Change Inputs. Otherwise, click on Perform Loading.
   6. Flash32 will begin to flash the modem with the new firmware.
      DO NOT turn off or reset the computer during this process.
   7. When Flash32 reports the flash is 100% complete, click on
      Close to exit Flash32.
   8. After a successful flash, restart the computer.

6) Firmware Update Errors
   1. If the firmware update is unsuccessful, contact Technical
      Support.
[snip]

Kinda sounds to me like that indeed if it fails it's hosed forever.
So I'm still considering finding a Win machine to do the flash.
Perhaps at a TFUG meeting?

One thing I don't understand is why they want you to put that on
a floppy and run it from there???

-bob-