[Tfug] Mailman, Postfix and SpamAssassin (oh my)

Samuel Hart tfug@tfug.org
Sat Sep 28 14:54:01 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 09:20, bigj@flatwan.net wrote:
> I'm not sure if you're going to get procmail, a Local Delivery Agent, to
> check all mail before it's handed off to Sendmail.

I wasn't sure where procmail should be working. I assumed it would run
/before/ passing the mail off to mailman... that's all.

As a matter of fact.. it kind of seems logical that way. I assumed it
was just treating all the mailman aliases as accounts.

> Sounds like you need to configure mailman so that it only allows
> subscribers to post to the list. The Tfug list, using Mailman, is
> configured this way.

Unfortunatley, for most open-source/free-software development projects,
this simply isn't the most practical option. Since we are a development
group, we really can't require all of our lists to do this (especially
open-bug tracking ones which have scant few subscribers but allow
external posts... seriously, would you report bugs on a project if you
had to subscribe to a mailing list to do so? ;-)

Actually, after a good nights rest, I realize the best solution would be
to make a wrapper around mailman's wrapper (this was actually proposed
on the mailman dev list, but I was too tired last night to see the
benefits :-) that takes care of these things before hand rather than
after.

Anyone interested, let me know and I'll put the code online.

--
Sam "Criswell" Hart <criswell@geekcomix.com> AIM, Yahoo!: <criswell4069>
Homepage: < http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/ >