[Tfug] Routing problem

tfug@tfug.org tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 23 23:05:01 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Steve Bowers wrote:

> I've installed Linux as an SSH server behind my OBSD firewall. The linux box
> is statically configured as 192.168.1.3 and the internal interface on the
> firewall is 192.168.1.1. I can ping from the Linux machine to the OBSD
> machine, but not the other direction. Consequently I can't get to the Linux
> machine from the outside world :(
>
> What might be causing this and  how do I fix it?

You got two interfaces using the same subnet? My guess is that when you
generate outgoing traffic from the OBSD machine, its not sure what
interface to use (since 192.168.1.x could be on either the external net or
the internal net), and uses the external one.

Try setting the internal interface to a 10.0.something (or 192.168.2.)
subnet and see if that fixes it.

- Yan