[Tfug] FWD: RUSSELL PAVLICEK: "The Open Source"

Jeffrey Denton tfug@tfug.org
Wed Sep 18 17:18:02 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Jim Secan wrote:

> I can provide a better solution for this particular user in terms of cost and
> functionality (and portability, and may other -ilities) going with Linux,
> but it's not allowed because some bozo in network security is afraid of the
> boogieman.

You need more information.  Is this an Air Force policy/regulation, or is it a
local/indivicual (network admin) policy.  If it's the former, you would have to
take the issue up with whatever command makes those decisions for Air Force
(good luck!).  If it's the later, find all the information (policies,
regulations, etc) on the subject and approach his supervisor.  The military
still uses unix outside of the desktop usage that most people see.  Some of
the most experienced unix admins I've met worked for the military (both in
and out of uniform).  I'd be very surprised if there is a regulation or policy
that prohibits the use of linux/unix on networks.

dentonj