[Tfug] What was your first OS (was What's your favorite OS?)

Sam Hart tfug@tfug.org
Wed Sep 18 11:38:03 2002

Since we're all sharing, my first system was a PDP10 running something (I
was very young at the time, I think it was ITS or TOPS, but I honestly
don't know). I did an infinite loop counting program in FORTRAN that would
print out sequential integers (1-) on it's line printer (there was no
screen). This was the machine that got me into computers when I was
little. It was running at a local college.

My first systems I owned (8-bit Atari's) had no OS.. just a friendly
"READY" prompt, unless you swapped the BASIC chip for something like
Space Invaders... which I did ;-)

But I really cut my teeth on CP/M, and that's what influenced my current
choices in command line utils (for example, I prefer 'nano' over vi or
emacs ;-)

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>