[Tfug] LAN hostnames

A.Chris Hilton tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 17 20:20:02 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:28:32 -0700
Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> wrote:

> Brian Murphy wrote:
> > Paul, I haven't been following this thread too closely, but here is
> > my take on the problem.
> >
> > It seems that your router is giving out the DHCP leases, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If the
> > router can't do 'static' DHCP, where it has a table of MAC addresses
> > which always get the same IP, you won't be able to keep the same IP
> > on the same client system.
>
> I don't think this is a choice with the current software.

You always have a choice :)  Your local machines (joy, janet et al.)
don't HAVE to get their configurations (IP addresse, subnet, masks, dns
info) from the actiontec.  You can arbitrarily assign them as long as
they are in the proper subnet.  You will then have to give each host all
the other information it would normally get from the actiontec.  If you
can't turn off DHCP on the actiontec, pick some addressess towards the
high end of the range.  Edit your hosts' hosts files with the new
information and it'll work just like it used to.

Yes there are ways to get IP information using the mac addresses of the
nic's in each host by listening to the network traffic with a program on
your DNS machine and feeding that via fancy bash script even Bowie would
envy to your bind daemon.  Way too much work.  Do what Brian and Jon
suggest and you'll be done in 10 minutes.

-C-