[Tfug] (Fwd) What's your favorite OS?

Tom Ponsford tfug@tfug.org
Tue Sep 17 08:06:02 2002

Bowie J. Poag wrote:

> The oldest OS I've ever worked with, to my knowledge, did not have a name.
>

> There's a mass spectrometer in the basement of Old Chem at U of A thats been
> there since 1970...its basically a robot arm with an x-ray emitter on the
> end of it. Its controlled by what I was told was cannibalized a PDP-9. It
> was powered by a command line interface, and had no storage that I was aware
> of. You basically had a prompt, and had to poke in directions to the machine
> to control the robot arm manually using an old dumb terminal. Rumor has it
> they are exceptionally rare antiques, that DEC only made a couple hundred of
> them.
>
> A touching story:   http://www.terrigal.net.au/~acms/z0109.htm

It was probably OS/8 or the older version of what was to become RT-11.

You guys haven't lived until you sysgened a pdp with 64k or even 28k of
word memory.

The OS  I'm spending these past hot summer nights with is RSX-11M, only
God knows why!

And now a little tune!!

Sung to the tune of that ol time rock and roll !

Just take that PRO down off the shelf
and let me program it by myself.
A half a meg's just fine by me,
I love that old-time PDP.

Refrain:
I love that old-time PDP
The kinda CPU that sets you free.
Instruction set looks good to me.
I love that old-time PDP.

Don't try to take me to ZK.
Won't make it, I won't last a day.
I love that old-time PDP.

Refrain

Say I'm old fashioned, say I'm over the hill,
say I'm outmoded, oh say what you will.
Those new CPU's haven't got the same thrill,
I love that old-time PDP.

Refrain

You gotta balance their complexity
'gainst functionality and quality