[Tfug] (Fwd) What's your favorite OS?

Angus Scott-Fleming tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 16 20:49:02 2002

Vote for Linux or *BSD here ...

Date sent:      	Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:27:06 -0400
Subject:        	[SFNL] Scot's Newsletter -- 9/12/2002
From:           	"Scot's Newsletter" <scot@scotsnewsletter.com>

SCOT'S NEWSLETTER

................. snip ..........................

READER POLL: WHAT'S YOUR PRIMARY OPERATING SYSTEM?

Almost exactly a year ago I published a reader poll asking what one
operating system was likely to be your *next* primary OS. Windows XP
was about to come out, Linux was on the rise (and still is), and Apple
had an ambitious new OS in the works. It was an interesting time to ask
the question:

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/14.htm#readpoll

What surprised me was that almost half of the 3,000 respondents said
they expected to move to Windows XP sooner or later. At that time, I
personally had no intention of moving to XP. Maybe Win2000, but not XP.
So it was a real eye opener. Now I want to ask you a related but
different question.

-- What's Your Current Operating System? --
There's a baker's dozen of answers below that one way or another should
provide a catalog to identify your operating system. The links beside
each entry are designed to automatically create an email message with
your default email program (sorry, this won't work for everyone, but it
works for many). Simply find your operating system, click its link, and
send the message. If link doesn't work, I've provided details on how to
send the message manually. Note: You must copy the subject line exactly
as shown or your response may not be included.

I recognize that many people reading this newsletter have more than one
operating system at their disposal. I'm not looking for multiple
answers (although it's fine to give me those details in the body of the
message). Instead, I want you to narrow down your operating system
choice to the one you feel is your primary OS, the one you either use
the most or like the best. It has to be an operating system that you
have on the PC you use regularly at work, home, or school.

So, what's your primary operating system? Please choose only one
response:

----------
1. Windows XP
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_XP

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_XP" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------
2. Windows 2000
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_2000

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_2000" (without quotation
marks) in the subject line.

----------
3. Windows Me
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_Me

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_Me" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------
4. Windows 98 Second Edition
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_98SE

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_98SE" (without quotation
marks) in the subject line.

----------
5. Windows 98
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_98

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_98" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------
6. Windows 95
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_95

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_95" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------
7. Windows 3.x
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Windows_3x

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Windows_3x" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------
8. OS/2 (any version)
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=OS2

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "OS2" (without quotation marks) in the
subject line.

----------
9. Linux (any version)
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Linux

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Linux" (without quotation marks) in
the subject line.

----------
10. Unix (any version)
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Unix

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Unix" (without quotation marks) in
the subject line.

----------
11. Macintosh System (any version)
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Mac_System

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Mac_System" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------
12. Macintosh OS X
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Mac_OSX

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Mac_OSX" (without quotation marks) in
the subject line.

----------
13. Other (please explain in message)
mailto:poll@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Other_OS

Click the link above and send the message. Or create an email to
poll@scotsnewsletter.com and put "Other_OS" (without quotation marks)
in the subject line.

----------

Thanks for taking the time to send me your message.

In an upcoming issue, I'll ask you to tell me what your next operating
system will be. So hold off telling me about that until then.

................. snip ..........................

THE FINE PRINT
starting this newsletter from scratch, I need your help spreading the
word. Please let somebody know.

Scot's Newsletter Home Page:
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/

-- Subscribe, Unsubscribe, Change Address --
The new website subscription center is the easiest way to manage your
Scot's Newsletter subscription. Please remember to click the correct
message format, Text or HTML.

To SUBSCRIBE:
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/subcenter/subscribe.asp?type=subscribe

VIA EMAIL:
To Subscribe via email, send a blank email to:
mailto:subscribe-scots-newsletter@lyris.dundee.net
Shortly thereafter you will receive a Welcome message confirming your
subscription.

To Change Your Email Address via email, combine the two steps above. If
you have trouble, I recommend the website Change Address page instead.

Please send comments, suggestions, or questions about this newsletter
directly to me. Don't be bashful about telling me what you like or
don't like!

mailto:scot@scotsnewsletter.com?subject=Comments_09-12-2002

Please address advertising inquires (only) to:
sales@scotsnewsletter.com

Copyright © 2001-2002 Scot Finnie. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/