[Tfug] ftpd's for RH7.3

Sam Hart tfug@tfug.org
Mon Sep 16 10:04:01 2002

begin  quote: On 02-09-15, Harry  McGregor wrote:
> > Would wuftpd
>
> Bad idea... of the ftp daemons, wuftpd has the worst security record on
> the planet...

Just wanted to chime in, if all you want is FTP behind your private
firewall (and you dont have any 802.11b ends to your private network ;-)
then wuftpd will probably give you the fastest transfer speeds with one of
the smallest overheads on your server. (Bear in mind that scp will encrypt
things, so you will get a slightly less transfer speed using it).

For example, behind my firewall, I have wuftpd set up on one machine that
I use to host LAN parties (for storing map files, etc.) That machine is
pretty much sheilded from the outside world (barring any Van eck phreakers
;-)

If, however, you have ANY end of your network easily accessable to the
outside world (except for your firewall, of course) then you DO NOT want
to use ftp of pretty much any kind (like Harry said).

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>