[Tfug] nvidia

Harry McGregor tfug@tfug.org
Sun Sep 15 13:27:01 2002

Well, I am going to split this question up, and try and answer it.

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Ash wrote:

> Is anyone using an nvidia ti4200 video card and mandrake? Does the mandrake
> install automatically install the drivers for it in kde?

Well, video drivers have nothing to do with KDE, so I guess the answer for
that would be "no", now, if what you really meant was will XFree86 with
KDE work with the card, the answer is probably.  It depends on the version
of XFree86 that shipped with your version of mandrake, or the version you
have since upgraded to, and if they are bundling the Nvidia binary only
drivers (binary only is usualy a bad thing, but the nvidia drivers are
usualy of good quality, just not portable (ie PPC systems can't use them,
etc).

> I am looking at
> albatrons new ti4200P turbo. It has an 8 layer board like the 4600 and uses
> 3.3ns. ram like the 4600(instead of 4ns. like the rest of the ti4200 cards
> with 128 mb).

Ok.

> I think the linux drivers should work, but am not sure if they
> check for the ram speed or would they install it for the 4ns speed. Anyone
> have any ideas on this?

Well, the GeForce series of cards use "SDRAM" which is a syncronus ram.
The ns rating determines the max speed of the ram.  If you are not using
an overclocking utility of some sort, the speed differnce won't be one.
Unless they are shipping the card with a bios that overclocks the ram to
TI4600 speeds from TI4200 speeds, but I doubt Nvidia would care for that
(though they were rather easy going about overclocking by the card makers
in the TNT2 erra).

I don't know if overclocking utiltities for video cards exhist for Linux,
as I have never overclocked a video card (though I have done pleanty of
cpus).

			Harry