[Tfug] getting IP's from host names

Paul Scott tfug@tfug.org
Sun Sep 15 08:15:02 2002

Tony wrote:

> Unless one of the machines is acting as a DNS server, I either don't
> know or don't understand what you mean.

My poor description of the problem comes from the parts that I don't
understand yet.  Some sort of local DNS is most likely what is needed.
I'm sure I have a very common situation and it should all become clear
in this thread.

> Given static IP's, one could just add each IP/hostname set to the
> /etc/hosts file and be done with it...
>
> But it sounds like the Actiontec is forcing you into a DHCP arrangement(?).

Yes and the Actiontec is already the DHCP server.

Follow the rest of the story as I respond to Bowie's thread in a couple
of hours.

Thanks,

Paul