[Tfug] router/firewall distro

johngalt tfug@tfug.org
Thu Sep 12 20:44:01 2002

Jerk? I'd say asshole, flaming asshole even. Still, this doesn't negate that
Smoothwall is pretty damn good. Don't get bogged down with personality
issues. The character in question is far from 'the' only person who
wrote/maintains smoothwall. http://www.smoothwall.org/team/

> and he has
> driven away many of the "freeloaders" (his word) who don't buy his
commercial
> version.
Driven away --- lately? Not really. Maybe he is bright enough to understand
that the
project needs capital, so he can't treat everyone like rugby lads.

> So many were driven away that they forked a new distro called IPCop
> -- google for it, as it's NOT on ipcop.org.
IPCop? Have you used it? So what do you think about it, Angus?

> I have a number of freesco boxes running -- all 486es with 16-20mb RAM and
> 100mb drives, although on one of them I just run it from floppy.  I have
been
> very happy with all of them -- rock-solid stable.
So, how secure are they? How did you determine that?

I used Freesco before using Smoothwall.

> One of them is acting as a
> print server as well.  I moved one client
Client? You feel obsolete Freesco is perfect enough to bet your reputation
on it?
How about port 515 hacks from trojans inside the FW?

>  from multiple modems at their
> desktops to a shared freesco with one NIC and one modem for the entire LAN
of
> 8 users and they actually prefer it as they don't have to go online
manually
> to get email, they're "on" all the time, even though it's slower.
Dummies. I'd rather have my own modem.

When was the last Freesco release/update? Year 2000, 1999, 1998??
Is the Freesco 2.0 kernel up to date? no.
Freesco is dead. As I last heard, Serge Storozhevykh went missing in the
United
Arab Emirates and has not been seen since. Too bad.

If you like the 2.0 kernel, you must love/use Minix.