[Tfug] router/firewall distro

Angus Scott-Fleming tfug@tfug.org
Wed Sep 11 21:27:01 2002

On 11 Sep 2002 at 16:43, s  wrote:

> smoothwall is really good, it's what I use for my firewall

The 'gentleman' who wrote/maintains smoothwall is a flaming jerk, and he has
driven away many of the "freeloaders" (his word) who don't buy his commercial
version.  So many were driven away that they forked a new distro called IPCop
-- google for it, as it's NOT on ipcop.org.

I have a number of freesco boxes running -- all 486es with 16-20mb RAM and
100mb drives, although on one of them I just run it from floppy.  I have been
very happy with all of them -- rock-solid stable.  One of them is acting as a
print server as well.  I moved one client from multiple modems at their
desktops to a shared freesco with one NIC and one modem for the entire LAN of
8 users and they actually prefer it as they don't have to go online manually
to get email, they're "on" all the time, even though it's slower.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona