[Tfug] router/firewall distro

Harry McGregor tfug@tfug.org
Wed Sep 11 10:40:01 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, James A. Gronowski wrote:

> I recently read a post about someone who had done this, but, I with my
> trigger finger, deleted it.

Ok.

> I have an older machine (P133) that I'd like to turn into a
> router/firewall.  It only has 24MB RAM (potentially a little more may
> be added) and 2 170MB hard drives.  I'm going to put in between 3-5
> NICs.  It also has a CD-rom drive, if that helps.

Well, I would ditch the HDs, the 24MB should be fine, the 133 is good
enough for even most T1 lines (we were using a DX2-66 for a while).

I would suggest either a flash disk (ide attached flash memory) or a
floppy drive.

Freesco and LPR are both small firewall distros that will boot off of
floppy disks.

> So, 1) Are 170/340MB enough space?
> 	2) Will the machine be able to handle a load like that?
> 	3) Any specialty distros anyone can recommend?  Easy and Fast
> preferable.

		Harry